Principal’s Message 8/31
Dear Collins Community,
Our kindergarten students just completed their first full week of school and their excitement for learning has been delightful to watch. We asked all of our older students to be excellent role models and to take special care looking out for our new Crusaders. Our older students definitely rose to the occasion and took great pride in assisting our new kindergarteners with whatever they needed. We are so proud of all of our students!
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the NWEA site this week. Therefore, MAP testing has been postponed nationally as engineers from NWEA (who produces MAP) correct the issue. No student scores have been impacted by the issue. Please refer to our updated schedule below.
Support the Foundation at Septemberfest
The District 54 Education Foundation is raising funds for District 54 students over Labor Day weekend at Schaumburg’s Septemberfest. You can support the Foundation by parking your car for $5 at Collins School, 407 S. Summit Drive, Schaumburg, on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 1 and 2. Summit is located between Roselle and Plum Grove roads. The Foundation is also participating in Not-for-Profit Day on Monday, Sept. 3, at Septemberfest. Purchase food from our partner, Riccardo’s Ristorante, and the profits will support District 54 students.
The Foundation is committed to ensuring that all District 54 students have the same opportunities by funding
- Breakfast programs for students from financially struggling families to ensure that they begin their day ready to learn, and
- Grants to students from financially struggling families so that they may participate in extracurricular activities
For more about the Foundation, visit www.d54foundation.org.
Please see the attached flyer for additional information on our school picture day which will take place on Monday, September 10.
Run to Read
District 54 is hosting its 14th annual Run to Read, which will be held on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018 at Dirksen Elementary School in Schaumburg. All participants who register by August 31, 2018 will be guaranteed to receive a short-sleeve T-shirt. Registration fees will increase by $5 after August 31. All participants are also encouraged to donate new or gently used children’s books as this event also supports our goal of collecting 1,000 children’s books for every classroom in District 54. To register online, visit http://sd54.org/runtoread.
Social Emotional Learning
As you know, in support of one of our District 54 goals, we are emphasizing social emotional learning in our classrooms. This work extends beyond the classroom and we would like to provide families with the Home-School Connections. Please explore this link with your child to learn more about the work done at school. You will find helpful questions that will assist in meaningful discussions with your child.
Schaumburg Parent University – September classes
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for September. Please note that child care is always available.
- Springboard for a Healthy Lifestyle – Do you want to embrace a healthy lifestyle? Are you interested in participating in the District 54 Run to Read with your child, but don’t know where to start? Come to this free educational seminar for adults only and get your new healthy life started on the right foot. Hear from experts from Dick Pond Athletics as they discuss many topics including how to get started, proper stretching and recovery, information on a free Walk2Run program and more. This event will take place at 7 p.m. on September 4, 2018, at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- The Happiness Advantage – Happiness is not something that happens to you but rather a choice you can make to lead a more fulfilling and enriching life. Research shows that choosing happiness has an advantage beyond simply feeling good. Come learn about the benefits of positive psychology and experience it firsthand through fun and interactive activities. Parents, guardians and students in third through eighth grade are welcome to attend. This event will take place at 6:30 p.m. on September 27, 2018, at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
To register or for more information, contact Meg Kwak at (847) 357-6586 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave your name, contact information, the number of children requiring free childcare and the name of your child’s school.
Universidad de padres de Schaumburg – Clases de septiembre
La Universidad de padres de Schaumburg (SPU) está diseñada para involucrar a más padres en la vida de la escuela, para fortalecer las relaciones familiares y mejorar las habilidades de crianza que en última instancia se traduce en mejor éxito de los estudiantes académicamente, socialmente y emocionalmente. Hay dos noches programadas para el mes de septiembre. Habrá cuidado de niños.
- Una plataforma para un estilo de vida saludable – ¿Quiere abrazar un estilo de vida saludable? ¿Está interesado en participar en el día anual Corre para Leer “Run to Read” del Distrito 54 con tu hijo/a, pero no sabe dónde empezar? Vega a este seminario educativo gratuito solo para adultos y de comienzo su nueva vida saludable con el pie derecho. Escuche de expertos de Dick Pond Athletics mientras discuten muchos temas, incluyendo cómo comenzar una rutina, estiramiento adecuado y recuperación, información sobre el programa gratuito Caminar para Correr “Walk2Run” y mucho más. Este evento tendrá lugar a las 7 p.m. el 4 de septiembre en el Centro de Aprendizaje Profesional del Distrito 54, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- Ventaja de felicidad – La felicidad no es algo que te sucede, sino más bien una elección que puedes hacer para llevar una vida más satisfactoria y enriquecedora. Las investigaciones muestran que elegir la felicidad tiene una ventaja más allá de simplemente sentirse bien. Venga a conocer los beneficios de la psicología positiva y experimente de primera mano a través de actividades divertidas e interactivas. Los padres, tutores y estudiantes de tercer a octavo grado son bienvenidos. Este evento tendrá lugar a las 6:30 p.m. el 27 de septiembre en el Centro de Aprendizaje Profesional del Distrito 54, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
Regístrese con Barb Velez al 847-357-5074 o email@example.com. Para más información sobre Universidad de padres de Schaumburg y registrarse, visite nuestro sitio web enhttps://sd54.org/spu-Spanish .
Please take a minute to read the attached newsletter explaining what is happening in PE from Mr. Cahoj and Mr. Pappas.
August 27th – Sept. 14th – MAP Assessment Window
Sept. 3rd – No School Labor Day
Sept. 10th – Picture Day
Sept 19th – Half Day Institute day – dismissal @ 11:40 for all students
Sept. 23rd – Run to Read
Enjoy the long weekend!
Nell Haack and Katie Kurtz
Principal Assistant Principal