Skip to Content
SEARCH

PTA

  • Board Members

    Shawna Lochner
    Co-President

    Frank Zaragoza
    1st Vice President

    Maria Ruffolo
    2nd Vice President

    Jennifer Durso
    Treasurer

    Leah Olsen
    Corresponding Secretary

    Jennifer Durso
    Recording Secretary

  • Categories

  • Recent Posts

  • December 4th Minutes

    Michael Collins PTA Meeting

    December 4, 4:30

    In attendance – Leah Olsen, Shawna Lochner, Joe Sabatino, Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Karla Cooper, Emmy Kamien, Dan Minich, Heather Large, Carolyn Taylor, Terry Nelson, Carrie Hamm, Jennifer Durso

    AGENDA

     

    CALL TO ORDER – 4:31

    MINUTES – approve from 11/6 — agreed

    CORRESPONDENCE – none to report

    TREASURER REPORT – Hot lunch brought in $63,000.  Approximately $3,000 in checks that have not cleared yet. The balance is $74,700.  Preparing for holiday breakfast – vendors, cash box, etc. We received at PayPal debit card w/ incorrect treasurer name on it.  Will try to get that corrected but pay pal card will create efficiencies for hot lunch program.  

    PRINCIPAL’S REPORT – Map testing continues through Dec 12.

    The holiday breakfast / sing is Saturday.

    The basketball shoot out was a success and Collins collected 10 boxes of canned goods.

    The art show, orchestra and Target shopping falls on the same night this year.  We’ll try to rearrange things for next year so that doesn’t happen for the families.

    The week before Winter break is spirit wear days.  There is information coming regarding the details.

    The Collins Community Giving program is a success again this year.  Gift wrapping will be next week and we’re grateful for the generous community.

    PRESIDENT’S REPORT –  Working on getting volunteers for upcoming programs/events.   All PTA Officers should help to recruit volunteers, PTA committee chairpersons or future officers.  Thank you to Leah Olsen for her consistent and successful attempts at recruiting new faces!

    Carrie Viso is the new BOOK FAIR Chairperson. Thank you Carrie Viso for stepping up to support a fantastic and fun program at Collins.

    Celeste Render is the new SCHOOL SUPPLY Chairperson.  Celeste has already reached out to our current vendors and others to establish supply kits for next year.  Thank you Celeste Render!

    Membership Award  — Thank you Karla Cooper for winning the PTA Membership Growth Award.  Great job!

    General Recruiting / Promoting of events –  PTA officers have agreed to continue their efforts by liking facebook posts, resharing information, and general recruiting at events and within the Collins community.

    Hot lunch program – should we make Staff Lunches a SUB Committee to relieve Hot Lunch Chairpersons?  Carrie will get numbers (how much does PTA make on this program?  How many teachers are involved? How much time/effort does it require? Etc.) to be discussed next month. PTA board wants to support and help recruit so that chairpersons are freed up a bit

    COMMITEES – UPCOMING CALENDAR ITEMS/EVENTS

    • 4,5,6th & 1,2,3rd grade event in March – 1,2,3rd grade event will be combines with 4, 5, 6th event on March 12. DuPage Children’s Museum.
    • Variety Show – Amy Shannon – Shawna to reach out to see how we can help/support program.
    • Holiday Shoppe – Melissa Revane looking for volunteers Thursday and Friday. PTA Officers please help recruit.
    • SpiritWear – Emmy Kamien has contacted Jim at Jims Spiritwear to discuss placing a large order for us to have on hand and to potentially sell at any upcoming events (i.e., back to school picnic, basketball shootout, etc). Emmy will also look into costs regarding tye-dyes for FIELD DAY in 2020.
    • Holiday Pancake & Sing – We need to confirm Terry Nelson is interested and/or available to chair the Pancake Breakfast next year. Rich Lode expressed interest (?).  We will confirm.
    • Birthday Book Club – Does Thea need a check for book purchases. Shawna will contact.
    • Dine to Donate – Riccardos brought in $500. Pilot Pete’s December 10.  Next month – fast food chain?
    • Reading/Writing Night – snack / supplies? Hasn’t been determined yet.  Katie Kurtz will look into and report back at next meeting.
    • The PTA Auction Dinner will be March 13. Theme is Diamonds and Denim.  We need at least 3 bottles of wine to contribute.  Please reach out to your circle for donations. All are encouraged to attend this event (paid for by PTA).  We’d like to have multiple tables.  Shawna will invite officers and chairpersons.
    • Next PTA meeting is at 6PM January 8

     

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS

    • School of Excellence – President to consolidate data to share with Principal and Asst Principal for review.
    • Change Bank Account – PTA debit card; Jennifer and Shawna to explore options.
    • Riccardos – it was suggested to send a plaque or “thank you” for her continued generosity.
    • Nominating Committee – President will send open position descriptions for nominating committee to begin the process.

     

    NEW BUSINESS

     

    ADJOURNMENT – 5:47

    November 6th Minutes

    Michael Collins PTA Meeting

    November 6, 2019 at 6:00PM

    In attendance:  Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Shawna Lochner, Leah Olsen,  Emmy Kamien,  Jennifer Durso, Celeste Render, Cindy Camacho, Frank Zaragoza

    MEETING NOTES

    CALL TO ORDER – 6:06PM

    MINUTES

    • Board approved minutes from 10/2/19

    CORRESPONDENCE

    • Multiple thank you cards from classroom students and staff regarding Halloween parties. Thank you volunteers!
    • Board will sign thank you cards during PTA meetings to send volunteers who participate in PTA sponsored events/programs throughout the school year. PTA Chairpersons – please identify anyone who you feel should be a recipient (i.e. hot lunch volunteers, classroom reps, general volunteers or new faces)

    TREASURER REPORT

    • Taxes are due on November 15. The audit came back without questions – Nice job!
    • Opening budget is 10/1 $37,586 and the ending budget 10/31 was $20,481; Deposit from Paypal (Hot lunch mainly) is being made.
    • New Schedule for check distributions is working out nicely. Hot lunch vendors are being paid timely and Hot lunch has been able to be proactive in their check requests.
    • Staff is submitting a single reimbursement request for excess fund (items for the classroom) rather than multiple and understand that the deadline is year end. This efficiency has been effective and time saving for the Treasurer.  Nell Haack will remind staff to submit their requests for reimbursement.

    PRINCIPAL’S REPORT

    • Thank you for the staff dinner on Conference night provided by the PTA.
    • Thank you to the parents and volunteers who made Halloween so much fun and for their understanding about cancelling the Halloween parade due to weather.
    • Beginning November 25 – Map Testing will begin. The staff anticipates this to go smoothly due to the one to one devices provided to students.
    • November’s gratitude calendars went home this week for students. November is happiness month so each Monday, staff will wear orange.  There will be days this month for both students and staff to wear orange shirts or pre-purchased Happiness tshirts. Communication will be sent out from Haack or Kurtz.
    • Next Wednesday, November 13 is the PTA Partnership Breakfast. Local businesses and individuals who have been partners with Collins Elementary (Riccardos, Target, Local Florist, etc) have been invited to attend.

     

    PRESIDENT’S REPORT

    • 4,5,6th grade is event is being scheduled. Concerns were brought up and will be addressed with the proposed vendor.  If / then… communication and invitations will be sent out to families for next week’s event.
    • District PTA informed us that we received $400 for PTA related event or program. Requesting ideas on how to spend it.  Last year:  assembly and gym equipment.
    • Will book/confirm Dupage Children’s Museum for 1,2,3rd grade event in March 2020
    • 2020-2021 New School Kits Committee Chairperson – Celeste Render. Thank you Celeste!!
    • Additional Spirit Wear will be ordered to have on hand for upcoming events (for sale). Thank you Emmy Kamien for spearheading this project!
    • Spring BOGO Book Fair – need PTA Board members to fill in or cover for committees experiences a shortage of volunteers/leaders. Shawna will communicate / recruit for Spring Book Fair chairperson and requests any help identifying future chairperson from the Board.
    • Corporate Sign Systems and Leah Olsen is helping to provide signage throughout the school to promote upcoming Dine to Donate Shawna will post to PTA Facebook and Nell Haack will continue to communicate in her email blasts.
    • Board members agreed that additional support from board members is necessary to run all of our many PTA programs and/or to fulfill its many obligations – i.e. Back to School Picnic, Book Fair, Folder Stuffing, Annual Audit, PTA Appreciation Dinners, etc. Board members should continuously reach out to their circles (sport teams, classrooms, neighbors) to recruit additional PTA members/volunteers or to simply, promote upcoming events.  It was agreed that continuous communication from the PTA is key and will need to come from all Board Members in order for successful turn outs.
    • Nominating Committee – Carrie Hamm, Frank Zaragoza and Emmy Kamien will head up the committee and submit names for upcoming open positions on the Board. Shawna will supply this team with “job descriptions” for upcoming available / vacant seats.
    • The yearbook committee has been doing a nice job attending events and organizing coverage. New faces / individuals have been added to their team.  Nice job!

     

    COMMITTEES – UPCOMING CALENDAR ITEMS/EVENTS

    • Dine to Donate: November Wednesday, November 13 at Riccardos Restaurant.  Offering 25% to Collins PTA for dine in or carry out!!  Please mentions Collins when making a reservation or placing your order.
    • 6th grade celebration: Carnival theme. 6th grade Committee meeting (all 6th grade families were invited) was October 29.  Ideas were discussed and sub-committee leaders were requested.  Contact Julie Stamper or Tina Abbott if you’d like to get involved!   Next meeting will take place sometime in January (TBD).
    • The Variety Show is Friday, January 24. Board members should be promoting it.   Shawna will reach out to see if Amy/Chairperson needs help from the Board promoting the event or solidifying volunteers.
    • Holiday Shoppe is approaching. Frank will reach out to see if Melissa/Chairperson needs help from the Board solidifying volunteers or communicating the program with families.
    • 2020 Back to School Picnic – ideas: selling water bottles (or donations); selling spirit wear – specifically to younger grades, coordinate cashbox, cooler, etc.
    • Holiday Pancake Breakfast is approaching. Shawna will reach out to see if Nelson/Chairperson needs help from the Board solidifying volunteers.
    • Birthday Book Club – Thea is doing an amazing job. Shawna will reach out to see if Thea/Chairperson needs help from the Board solidifying volunteers.
    • Spring Book Fair – Looking for Chairperson to head up this event. Time commitment – approximately 2 – 3 hours.

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS

    • Need Committee Chair for BOOK FAIR COMMITTEE for 2020 and this year’s Spring book fair.
    • $400 – Spend the Cash. Shawna will submit paperwork to receive funds.
    • Application for School of Excellence award is still underway. Surveys were sent home with students and are due into the office by Friday.  President will compile results and submit them.  Deadline has been extended to November 15.  If accepted, School of Excellence results will be provided by next August 2020.

     

    NEW BUSINESS

    ADJOURNMENT – 6:50

    October 2nd Minutes

    Michael Collins PTA Meeting

    October 2, 2019 at 4:30PM

    In attendance:  Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Shawna Lochner, Leah Olsen, Karla Cooper, Emmy Kamien, Dan Minich, Heather Large, Carrie Hamm, Julie Stamper, Tina Abbott, Jennifer Durso, Veronica Emeson.

    MEETING NOTES

     CALL TO ORDER – 4:32PM

    MINUTES – reviewed District PTA minutes

    CORRESPONDENCE – multiple thank you cards from classroom students and staff regarding the indoor recess equipment/games provided by the PTA.

    TREASURER REPORT

    • Membership payment made
    • Paypal invoice will be paid this week
    • New Schedule for check distributions is working out nicely. Hot lunch vendors are being paid timely and Hot lunch is able to be proactive in their check requests.
    • Staff is submitting reimbursement requests for excess fund (items for the classroom)
    • Will need check for Grade 4,5,6 event in November. Determining vendor now
    • 9/1/2019 $40,328
    • 9/30/2019 $35,647

    PRINCIPAL’S REPORT

    • Map Testing was a success. Map test scores will be sent out via email to families.
    • Kindergarten event in September was a great night and thank you to Karla Cooper for arranging it.
    • Conferences are scheduled for October 10 and 11, 2019
    • Thank you to the PTA for the indoor recess equipment
    • Halloween Parties and Schoolwide parade is scheduled. Missing room reps for Room 109, 110, 201, 204, 210, 211.  Teachers should be sending out emails requesting a room rep volunteer.
    • The district provided a “VOLUNTEER SAFETY DRILL SHEET” for individuals who are volunteering in the school in the event of a drill or an emergency. These forms will be posted throughout the school and will be provided in Room Rep Folders going forward
    • There was a hard lockdown drill yesterday (October 1) and students did a great job

    PRESIDENT’S REPORT

    • Thank you to the members who stepped up during President’s absence at the beginning of the school year – i.e. back to school picnic, curriculum night, audit meeting, folder stuffing, etc. (Angelino, Olsen, Cooper, Hamm, Haack, Kurtz, Zaragoza, Durso). Missing several Board members.  Board members may be asked to help recruit volunteers or committee chairpersons going forward.
    • District PTA informed us that we received $400 for PTA related event or program. Requesting ideas on how to spend it.  Last year:  assembly and gym equipment.
    • Discussed beneficial owner info – a new banking law to confirm where the money we use through PayPal is going. Carrie Hamm has paperwork to complete and submit.
    • Will look into ordering card reader through PayPal – up to $80.
    • Hot Lunch is recommended to include some information regarding snow days and/or general refund policy on their paperwork for families if not done already.
    • Thank you to Hot Lunch for handling the close of PDQ so quickly.
    • Indoor Recess Equipment was purchased, received and distributed
    • Ponchos for 6th grade patrols were purchased, received and distributed
    • Ideas for upcoming 4,5,6 grade event on Nov 14 – Dupage Children’s Museum and Mr Freeze. Shawna will organize.

    COMMITEES – UPCOMING CALENDAR ITEMS/EVENTS

    • Dine to Donate: Sept 11 Village Tavern raised $220; Next event is October 10 at Fratos.  Will advertise in classrooms and create poster boards for conference night.  Need volunteer.
    • Halloween Party / Parade. Need Room Reps for Rooms: 109; 110; 201; 204; 208; 209; 211;
    • PTA Dinner / Cotillion October 7 6PM – Accepted: Kurtz, Haack, Lochner, Olsen.  Declined: other board members.
    • Picture Retake Day – October 21. Olsen will coordinate.
    • November 6 – Auction Training at 6:30PM – Location TBD – Heather Large to attend.
    • Reflections program – promote (PTA due Nov 7); paperwork went home. ART AND MUSIC teachers will help promote?
    • The birthday book club is up and running. Thank you to Thea!
    • 6th grade celebration ideas: Carnival theme. Reach out to Angelino for games from district PTA. Location TBD. Space is a concern.  Simple food.  May 21. Looking for volunteers for celebration.  Will get binder from D. Bestor.  Previous vendor receipts from J.Durso.

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS

    • No Committee Chair stepped forward for BOOK FAIR COMMITTEE; Cancel fall book fair.
    • New School Kits Committee Chair needed – please contact Shawna if interested

    NEW BUSINESS

    • President will apply for School of Excellence award. Deadline has been extended to Oct 15. If accepted, results will be provided by next August 2020.

    ADJOURNMENT – 5:22PM

    Hot Lunch 2019-2020

    Click on the following link to view the Hot Lunch Menu for the 2019-2020 school year. Click here to place your hot lunch orders online.

    April 3rd Meeting Notes

    PTA MEETING NOTES
    April 3, 2019
    4:36-5:46
    Attendees: Shawna Lochner, Melissa Revane, Carrie Hamm, Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Karla Cooper, Carolyn Taylor, Heather Large, Leah Olsen.

    Principals message:
    Thank you PTA all who helped with the magic show, it was a great turn out. The Spring fling parties were a lot of fun, so thank you parents who volunteered. And the hospitality committee did a great job this past month with the “lucky” theme. The classrooms and all the students were excited to find out which classroom would win. So much fun all day. Great idea!

    Treasurers report:
    We need to form an audit committee (3 people) with in the next two weeks. The meeting would be in July. No experience necessary. Contact Jennifer Durso if interested.

    -Work on getting debit cards
    -Create line item in budget for PTA “family events” fall/winter/spring (ice cream social)
    -Work on budget for the following year during current year so that we can pay expenses in advance without people being out cash

    STC news:
    Going forward, an idea would be (due to snow days, etc) to negotiate contracts with vendors for hot lunch, to ensure you can cancel or reschedule the order with a vendor the morning of, for example: as late as 6:30 AM the day of.

    Fun fair:
    •There are still a few open spots for the second shift (7:15-9:00); Carolyn will send a blurb to Nell to send to school parents. Shawna will echo on PTA facebook page. Please help to solicit addition volunteers.

    •Need to confirm there will be the “box top reward” i.e, someone dressing up as a character or photo op with cardboard cutouts

    •Water bottles, popcorn and Collins bottles will be donated from previous events. Be sure to count those into budget for accurate event total.

    Art show:
    Volunteers are needed Mondays and Thursdays afternoons 12-3. If interested contact Lillian Andrews. Volunteers will be putting up ART WORK throughout the school.

    End of year calendar and programs:

    Field day volunteers, Cahoj asked that we solicit volunteers. Shawna will post to PTA facebook page.

    Complimentary hot lunch provided on make up days for both students and staff; Carrie will coordinate and include permission info for the Popsicles provided for field day

    April 24th is kindergarten round up. PTA info? request for volunteers.

    BY END OF SCHOOL YEAR, let’s try to have what we can have, ready for parents in their blue folders. Inform them about PTA memberships, hot lunch, classroom rep papers, etc. Less time to cut into our August days.

    Miscellaneous:
    Melissa will provide finance bylaws so that Jen and Shawna can make changes to budget process, procedures going forward (i.e. classroom party money, vendor payment, bank choice, etc)

    Dine to donate – choose a set date/time – i.e., 2nd Monday each month or whatever; we will communicate it well and hopefully include this in the BLUE FOLDER for back to school picnic.

    Save the date. High school scholarship dinner May 8th at Mead Junior High. Check-in at 5:30 dinner at 6:30 for PTA chair holders. Melissa will send email this week to RSVP.
    Change Over Dinner?

    Encourage parents to donate or contribute in purchasing recess activities. Balls, chalk, etc. or create line item for it specifically next year.

    Plan of work for classroom parties so that money can be set aside for classrooms struggling with donations. Idea: project work determined as a grade. Every grade gets the same amount and quantity of supplies for parties

    Create new process, standard process such as: the room reps make it easier for parents to donate. Send a pre-marked envelope with party info. in order to collect more donations

    NEXT MEETING
    There isn’t a MAY meeting scheduled however we can meet on May 1 (1/2 day) or May 8. Will send out an email to confirm.