Skip to Content
SEARCH

December 4th Minutes

Michael Collins PTA Meeting

December 4, 4:30

In attendance – Leah Olsen, Shawna Lochner, Joe Sabatino, Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Karla Cooper, Emmy Kamien, Dan Minich, Heather Large, Carolyn Taylor, Terry Nelson, Carrie Hamm, Jennifer Durso

AGENDA

 

CALL TO ORDER – 4:31

MINUTES – approve from 11/6 — agreed

CORRESPONDENCE – none to report

TREASURER REPORT – Hot lunch brought in $63,000.  Approximately $3,000 in checks that have not cleared yet. The balance is $74,700.  Preparing for holiday breakfast – vendors, cash box, etc. We received at PayPal debit card w/ incorrect treasurer name on it.  Will try to get that corrected but pay pal card will create efficiencies for hot lunch program.  

PRINCIPAL’S REPORT – Map testing continues through Dec 12.

The holiday breakfast / sing is Saturday.

The basketball shoot out was a success and Collins collected 10 boxes of canned goods.

The art show, orchestra and Target shopping falls on the same night this year.  We’ll try to rearrange things for next year so that doesn’t happen for the families.

The week before Winter break is spirit wear days.  There is information coming regarding the details.

The Collins Community Giving program is a success again this year.  Gift wrapping will be next week and we’re grateful for the generous community.

PRESIDENT’S REPORT –  Working on getting volunteers for upcoming programs/events.   All PTA Officers should help to recruit volunteers, PTA committee chairpersons or future officers.  Thank you to Leah Olsen for her consistent and successful attempts at recruiting new faces!

Carrie Viso is the new BOOK FAIR Chairperson. Thank you Carrie Viso for stepping up to support a fantastic and fun program at Collins.

Celeste Render is the new SCHOOL SUPPLY Chairperson.  Celeste has already reached out to our current vendors and others to establish supply kits for next year.  Thank you Celeste Render!

Membership Award  — Thank you Karla Cooper for winning the PTA Membership Growth Award.  Great job!

General Recruiting / Promoting of events –  PTA officers have agreed to continue their efforts by liking facebook posts, resharing information, and general recruiting at events and within the Collins community.

Hot lunch program – should we make Staff Lunches a SUB Committee to relieve Hot Lunch Chairpersons?  Carrie will get numbers (how much does PTA make on this program?  How many teachers are involved? How much time/effort does it require? Etc.) to be discussed next month. PTA board wants to support and help recruit so that chairpersons are freed up a bit

COMMITEES – UPCOMING CALENDAR ITEMS/EVENTS

  • 4,5,6th & 1,2,3rd grade event in March – 1,2,3rd grade event will be combines with 4, 5, 6th event on March 12. DuPage Children’s Museum.
  • Variety Show – Amy Shannon – Shawna to reach out to see how we can help/support program.
  • Holiday Shoppe – Melissa Revane looking for volunteers Thursday and Friday. PTA Officers please help recruit.
  • SpiritWear – Emmy Kamien has contacted Jim at Jims Spiritwear to discuss placing a large order for us to have on hand and to potentially sell at any upcoming events (i.e., back to school picnic, basketball shootout, etc). Emmy will also look into costs regarding tye-dyes for FIELD DAY in 2020.
  • Holiday Pancake & Sing – We need to confirm Terry Nelson is interested and/or available to chair the Pancake Breakfast next year. Rich Lode expressed interest (?).  We will confirm.
  • Birthday Book Club – Does Thea need a check for book purchases. Shawna will contact.
  • Dine to Donate – Riccardos brought in $500. Pilot Pete’s December 10.  Next month – fast food chain?
  • Reading/Writing Night – snack / supplies? Hasn’t been determined yet.  Katie Kurtz will look into and report back at next meeting.
  • The PTA Auction Dinner will be March 13. Theme is Diamonds and Denim.  We need at least 3 bottles of wine to contribute.  Please reach out to your circle for donations. All are encouraged to attend this event (paid for by PTA).  We’d like to have multiple tables.  Shawna will invite officers and chairpersons.
  • Next PTA meeting is at 6PM January 8

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • School of Excellence – President to consolidate data to share with Principal and Asst Principal for review.
  • Change Bank Account – PTA debit card; Jennifer and Shawna to explore options.
  • Riccardos – it was suggested to send a plaque or “thank you” for her continued generosity.
  • Nominating Committee – President will send open position descriptions for nominating committee to begin the process.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

ADJOURNMENT – 5:47