January 8th Minutes
Michael Collins PTA Meeting
January 8, 2020
In attendance – Leah Olsen, Nell Haack, Heather Large, Dan Minich, Celeste Render, Lisa Perez, Frank Zaragoza, C. Zaragoza, Carolyn Taylor, Carrie Hamm, Jennifer Durso
CALL TO ORDER – 6:01
MINUTES – approved from 12/4
CORRESPONDENCE – many thank you notes arrived from the Staff regarding PTA purchased holiday gifts. Thank you to our Hospitality Committee for organizing and distributing these items.
TREASURER REPORT – End of 2019 we had $73,156.12. We had $1500 in outstanding checks. Mostly being deposits from the holiday breakfast. Student Holiday shop raised $322.63 and the Holiday Pancake breakfast raised $3975 and the Vendor Fair profited $125 for the PTA.
PRINCIPAL’S REPORT – Map testing continues through Dec 12.
Thank you to the many volunteers for our December programs/events. We are seeking new faces and additional volunteers for the Holiday Pancake for next year! Please contact Shawna Lochner if interested in helping at this fun, annual event.
Friday, January 24 is the variety show at Mead. There will be two showtimes – more info to come soon.
February 5 is KG registration. A few volunteer parents are needed to help from 9-11am. Contact Shawna Lochner if interested in greeting incoming KG parents.
5 essential survey results will be published only when we reach 20% participation. Right now we are at 2% so we will be encouraging parents to participate in this survey online.
The School addition will be starting on the first day of summer break. It will be extending at doors 3&4. There will be four classrooms added to the school. We’re hoping to speak with the village about adding more blacktop since the existing blacktop will be gone or converted to additional parking.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT – Thank you for the Wine and Jeans donations for this year’s Auction. The auction will be Friday, March 13 at Stonegate Banquet Hall. We will be inviting more PTA members than in the past. Tickets are $35pp and tickets will be paid for by the Collins PTA. Surplus bottles of wine will be used to create baskets for the auction. Thank you Heather Large for your continued work on this!
Collins PTA will be using another vendor for School SpiritWear. Emmy Kamien is heading up this task and we will also be discussing Tie Dye alternatives with the Art Dept Staff for this year’s Field Day.
Follow up regarding Hot Lunch regarding Hot Lunch Staff Distribution. The PTA receives approx. $30-$50 per distribution (so approximately $60-$100 per month). The issue then becomes about best utilizing volunteer resources when our Student Hot Lunch program should be our first focus. We will continue to discuss at next month’s meeting.
We need Spend the Cash ideas – District is offering $400 but we need to complete the application and do it soon. Ideas or suggestions – please send to Shawna Lochner. Tentatively thinking about timeless signs for all upcoming large school events – i.e., fun fair, field day, book fair, back to school picnic, general recruiting, “the Collins PTA welcomes you”, etc.
Student Art certificates for the Reflections Program will be distributed this week. Art was returned by PTA President to office already and will be distributed to students ASAP.
General Recruiting / Promoting of events – PTA officers have agreed to continue their efforts by liking facebook posts, resharing information, and general recruiting at events and within the Collins community. Who do you know? How can you promote attendance and/or attract future leaders?
COMMITEES – UPCOMING CALENDAR ITEMS/EVENTS
- 4,5,6th & 1,2,3rd grade event in March – 1,2,3rd grade event will be combines with 4, 5, 6th event on March 12. DuPage Children’s Museum.
- Variety Show – January 24
- Holiday Shop – brought in approximately $322
- SpiritWear – Emmy Kamien has contacted Jim at Jims Spiritwear to discuss placing a large order for us to have on hand and to potentially sell at any upcoming events (i.e., back to school picnic, basketball shootout, etc). Emmy will also look into costs regarding tye-dyes for FIELD DAY in 2020.
- Holiday Pancake & Sing – brought in approximately $3975. Thank you Terry Nelson for your amazing work with this program!! We will find you additional volunteers!!! 😉
- Birthday Book Club – Does Thea need a check for book purchases. The program is doing great!
- Dine to Donate –Pilot Pete’s December 10 brought in $102. Overall this new program has generated approximately $940. Next month – Panda Express. Future considerations or suggestions are Peri Peri, Lou Malnatis, Portillos.
- Reading/Writing Night – snack / supplies? March 4. Katie Kurtz will look into and report back at next meeting.
- The PTA Auction Dinner will be March 13. Theme is Diamonds and Denim. We need at least 3 bottles of wine to contribute. Please reach out to your circle for donations. All are encouraged to attend this event (paid for by PTA). We’d like to have multiple tables. Shawna will invite officers and chairpersons.
- Next PTA meeting is at 4:30 on February 5, 2020. Everyone is asked to attempt to bring a new person/friend to next month’s meeting. We will work on compiling PTA member email addresses for mass communication. Carrie Hamm, technology chairperson, to help.
- School of Excellence – President to consolidate data to share with Principal and Asst Principal for review.
- Change Bank Account – PTA debit card; Jennifer and Shawna to explore options.
- Riccardos – it was suggested to send a plaque or “thank you” for her continued generosity.
- Nominating Committee – President will send open position descriptions for nominating committee to begin the process.
- Butterbraid Bread will be our next “new” fundraiser – led by Heather Large. Shawna Lochner will recruit volunteers to be present for distribution the week prior to spring break. Please contact her or Leah Olsen if interested in participating.
ADJOURNMENT – 6:48PM