Skip to Content
SEARCH

October 2nd Minutes

Michael Collins PTA Meeting

October 2, 2019 at 4:30PM

In attendance:  Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Shawna Lochner, Leah Olsen, Karla Cooper, Emmy Kamien, Dan Minich, Heather Large, Carrie Hamm, Julie Stamper, Tina Abbott, Jennifer Durso, Veronica Emeson.

MEETING NOTES

 CALL TO ORDER – 4:32PM

MINUTES – reviewed District PTA minutes

CORRESPONDENCE – multiple thank you cards from classroom students and staff regarding the indoor recess equipment/games provided by the PTA.

TREASURER REPORT

  • Membership payment made
  • Paypal invoice will be paid this week
  • New Schedule for check distributions is working out nicely. Hot lunch vendors are being paid timely and Hot lunch is able to be proactive in their check requests.
  • Staff is submitting reimbursement requests for excess fund (items for the classroom)
  • Will need check for Grade 4,5,6 event in November. Determining vendor now
  • 9/1/2019 $40,328
  • 9/30/2019 $35,647

PRINCIPAL’S REPORT

  • Map Testing was a success. Map test scores will be sent out via email to families.
  • Kindergarten event in September was a great night and thank you to Karla Cooper for arranging it.
  • Conferences are scheduled for October 10 and 11, 2019
  • Thank you to the PTA for the indoor recess equipment
  • Halloween Parties and Schoolwide parade is scheduled. Missing room reps for Room 109, 110, 201, 204, 210, 211.  Teachers should be sending out emails requesting a room rep volunteer.
  • The district provided a “VOLUNTEER SAFETY DRILL SHEET” for individuals who are volunteering in the school in the event of a drill or an emergency. These forms will be posted throughout the school and will be provided in Room Rep Folders going forward
  • There was a hard lockdown drill yesterday (October 1) and students did a great job

PRESIDENT’S REPORT

  • Thank you to the members who stepped up during President’s absence at the beginning of the school year – i.e. back to school picnic, curriculum night, audit meeting, folder stuffing, etc. (Angelino, Olsen, Cooper, Hamm, Haack, Kurtz, Zaragoza, Durso). Missing several Board members.  Board members may be asked to help recruit volunteers or committee chairpersons going forward.
  • District PTA informed us that we received $400 for PTA related event or program. Requesting ideas on how to spend it.  Last year:  assembly and gym equipment.
  • Discussed beneficial owner info – a new banking law to confirm where the money we use through PayPal is going. Carrie Hamm has paperwork to complete and submit.
  • Will look into ordering card reader through PayPal – up to $80.
  • Hot Lunch is recommended to include some information regarding snow days and/or general refund policy on their paperwork for families if not done already.
  • Thank you to Hot Lunch for handling the close of PDQ so quickly.
  • Indoor Recess Equipment was purchased, received and distributed
  • Ponchos for 6th grade patrols were purchased, received and distributed
  • Ideas for upcoming 4,5,6 grade event on Nov 14 – Dupage Children’s Museum and Mr Freeze. Shawna will organize.

COMMITEES – UPCOMING CALENDAR ITEMS/EVENTS

  • Dine to Donate: Sept 11 Village Tavern raised $220; Next event is October 10 at Fratos.  Will advertise in classrooms and create poster boards for conference night.  Need volunteer.
  • Halloween Party / Parade. Need Room Reps for Rooms: 109; 110; 201; 204; 208; 209; 211;
  • PTA Dinner / Cotillion October 7 6PM – Accepted: Kurtz, Haack, Lochner, Olsen.  Declined: other board members.
  • Picture Retake Day – October 21. Olsen will coordinate.
  • November 6 – Auction Training at 6:30PM – Location TBD – Heather Large to attend.
  • Reflections program – promote (PTA due Nov 7); paperwork went home. ART AND MUSIC teachers will help promote?
  • The birthday book club is up and running. Thank you to Thea!
  • 6th grade celebration ideas: Carnival theme. Reach out to Angelino for games from district PTA. Location TBD. Space is a concern.  Simple food.  May 21. Looking for volunteers for celebration.  Will get binder from D. Bestor.  Previous vendor receipts from J.Durso.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • No Committee Chair stepped forward for BOOK FAIR COMMITTEE; Cancel fall book fair.
  • New School Kits Committee Chair needed – please contact Shawna if interested

NEW BUSINESS

  • President will apply for School of Excellence award. Deadline has been extended to Oct 15. If accepted, results will be provided by next August 2020.

ADJOURNMENT – 5:22PM

April 3rd Meeting Notes

PTA MEETING NOTES
April 3, 2019
4:36-5:46
Attendees: Shawna Lochner, Melissa Revane, Carrie Hamm, Nell Haack, Katie Kurtz, Karla Cooper, Carolyn Taylor, Heather Large, Leah Olsen.

Principals message:
Thank you PTA all who helped with the magic show, it was a great turn out. The Spring fling parties were a lot of fun, so thank you parents who volunteered. And the hospitality committee did a great job this past month with the “lucky” theme. The classrooms and all the students were excited to find out which classroom would win. So much fun all day. Great idea!

Treasurers report:
We need to form an audit committee (3 people) with in the next two weeks. The meeting would be in July. No experience necessary. Contact Jennifer Durso if interested.

-Work on getting debit cards
-Create line item in budget for PTA “family events” fall/winter/spring (ice cream social)
-Work on budget for the following year during current year so that we can pay expenses in advance without people being out cash

STC news:
Going forward, an idea would be (due to snow days, etc) to negotiate contracts with vendors for hot lunch, to ensure you can cancel or reschedule the order with a vendor the morning of, for example: as late as 6:30 AM the day of.

Fun fair:
•There are still a few open spots for the second shift (7:15-9:00); Carolyn will send a blurb to Nell to send to school parents. Shawna will echo on PTA facebook page. Please help to solicit addition volunteers.

•Need to confirm there will be the “box top reward” i.e, someone dressing up as a character or photo op with cardboard cutouts

•Water bottles, popcorn and Collins bottles will be donated from previous events. Be sure to count those into budget for accurate event total.

Art show:
Volunteers are needed Mondays and Thursdays afternoons 12-3. If interested contact Lillian Andrews. Volunteers will be putting up ART WORK throughout the school.

End of year calendar and programs:

Field day volunteers, Cahoj asked that we solicit volunteers. Shawna will post to PTA facebook page.

Complimentary hot lunch provided on make up days for both students and staff; Carrie will coordinate and include permission info for the Popsicles provided for field day

April 24th is kindergarten round up. PTA info? request for volunteers.

BY END OF SCHOOL YEAR, let’s try to have what we can have, ready for parents in their blue folders. Inform them about PTA memberships, hot lunch, classroom rep papers, etc. Less time to cut into our August days.

Miscellaneous:
Melissa will provide finance bylaws so that Jen and Shawna can make changes to budget process, procedures going forward (i.e. classroom party money, vendor payment, bank choice, etc)

Dine to donate – choose a set date/time – i.e., 2nd Monday each month or whatever; we will communicate it well and hopefully include this in the BLUE FOLDER for back to school picnic.

Save the date. High school scholarship dinner May 8th at Mead Junior High. Check-in at 5:30 dinner at 6:30 for PTA chair holders. Melissa will send email this week to RSVP.
Change Over Dinner?

Encourage parents to donate or contribute in purchasing recess activities. Balls, chalk, etc. or create line item for it specifically next year.

Plan of work for classroom parties so that money can be set aside for classrooms struggling with donations. Idea: project work determined as a grade. Every grade gets the same amount and quantity of supplies for parties

Create new process, standard process such as: the room reps make it easier for parents to donate. Send a pre-marked envelope with party info. in order to collect more donations

NEXT MEETING
There isn’t a MAY meeting scheduled however we can meet on May 1 (1/2 day) or May 8. Will send out an email to confirm.