Hello Collins Community,
We hope this message finds you all well and enjoying the slower pace of summer. Hopefully, the weather will begin to cooperate and allow us to enjoy a few more outdoor activities in the near future. Please read below for some new information.
School Information Day – Thursday August 13th 9:00 – 12:00 & 6:00-8:00:
The doors will be open at Collins during the hours listed above to find out your student(s) classroom assignment, join the PTA, find out about volunteer opportunities and have your questions answered by our office staff. Medical forms for our school nurse may also be dropped off on this day or any day after August 12th. Any classroom assignment that is not picked up on August 13th will be sent via US mail on August 14th.
A Fond Farewell:
We are sadly saying good-bye to a number of amazing staff members who are off to other endeavors. Many of our staff members will be moving on whether it be retirement, a new school, a new district or even a new career and we wish them the very best. They all have touched many lives at Collins and will certainly be missed by all: Becky Rodriguez, Ariana Carbone, Lisa Bochat, Natalie Snow, Lisa Rysavy, Allison Noonan, Emily Turner, Kyle Terry, Faith Baran, Fred Blumenberg, Kris Beaudette, Jenny McDermott, Keiko Date, Michelle Gustafson, Linda Lettecci, Joanne Moorehouse, Aida Rene, Christopher Samp, Pam Sanchez, and Donna Jakala.
Staffing for Next Year:
Along with some staff members leaving, we have some changes and some new additions. Below is the current staffing plan for 2015-16:
- Assistant Principal- Katie Kurtz
- Kindergarten – Amanda Trandel, Jennifer Mikolajczack, Allison Clucey, and Julianne Vicars
- 1/2 multi-grade – Cheryl Mills, Jenna Lejman, Shannon Hart, Nina Vlasvich (Colao), Kathryn Polk, Danielle DeSimone, Rachel Seymour, and Sara Salomonsson
- 3/4 multi-grade – Matt Meyer, Rhonda Starr, Alyssa Melbourn, Kari Brennan, Lauren Locke, Jenene Serafini, Brianne McMahon, and Jennifer Micholson
- 5/6 multi-grade – Kim Savino, Brittany Herrera (Abruzzo), Jessica McCormack, Lauren Venlos, Janna Howard, Josh Higgins, and Emily Schuler
- Gifted Teacher/Enrichment Coach – Meagan Patterson
- Literacy Coaches – Melissa Beuchel and Eleni Gajewski
- Music – Becka Carvell and TBA
- Art – Michael Rinchiuso and TBA
- PE – Mike Cahoj and TBA
- Band – Kelly Stanich
- Orchestra – Mark Hamada
- EL Teachers – Jill Rasmussen, Agnes Chmielewski, and Indian McKearin
- Learning Center Teacher – Michelle Rawleigh
- Learning Center Assistant – Linda Keane
- Social Worker – Dayna Prochaska
- Special Services Teachers – Ashley Winstead, Mary Getty, and Nikki Winter
- Psychologist – Zilda Blazina
- Speech and Language Pathologists – Liz Oliverio and Marlene Smith
- Instructional Assistants – Marie Bautista, Linda Chesney, Sue Graw, Mariann Hrycko, Patty Kazeos, Michelle Shanahan, and Marie Taraszka
- Nurse – Teresa Sowa
- Building Secretaries – Joan Pierce and Julie Quinn
- Building Custodians – Tim DiVirgilio, Sonya Sejdini, and John Sullivan
Start Seeing Monarchs:
Many of our families have joined Mrs. Savino and her students in their quest to “Start Seeing Monarchs”. A few weeks ago, Mr. Art Norman, from NBC News Channel 5, and his crew came out to Collins to interview Mrs. Savino and Miss Abruzzo’s students about their work. We are very excited to share with you that their story will be airing tonight on the 5:00 pm show as well as tomorrow morning on the 6:00 am show. A longer version will also air over the weekend and posted on line. Way to go 5/6 students and teachers. We couldn’t be more proud of you all!
- August 13th – School Information Day 9:00-12:00 and 6:00-8:00
- August 20th – Collins Annual Back to School Picnic and Meet your Teacher 5:30-6:30 classroom visits, 6:00-7:30 Picnic
- August 24th – First Day of School for Grades 1st -6th
- August 31st – First Day of School for Kindergarten students
On behalf of the Collins staff, have a safe and happy summer. It is truly a privilege to work with each of your families. A great staff, wonderful children and very supportive parents make Collins the amazing place it is!